Saint Alphonsus Health System
SAHS Nampa Campus
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift
Job Description Summary Under the general direction of the General Manager, Food & Nutrition Services, the Executive Chef is responsible for the oversight and day-to-day culinary operations of the Regional Health Ministry's (RHM) Food & Nutrition Services (FANS) Department with a Total Managed Volume typically ranging from $500,000 to $2,000,000. The Executive Chef is responsible for successfully coordinating and directing all culinary functions, quality control/improvement and culinary personnel within the department as assigned and Helps develop and maintain a culinary integrity program in a single campus environment. Trains and develops existing kitchen staff and develops and cultivates further talent to drive excellence through staff training and engagement. The Executive Chef leads by demonstration through proper cooking techniques and possesses a working knowledge of regulatory and food safety/sanitation practices and principles based on HAACP, Health Department, Joint Commission and THS standards. The Executive Chef coordinates the day-to-day food production and is responsible for the quality, preparation and presentation of all menu items while maintaining a high level of food quality utilizing THS standards and systems. The Executive Chef also interacts, engages and coordinates efforts with clinical dietitians to ensure optimal patient care as well as co-develop and promote wellness, educational and community initiatives. Under the direction of the General Manager, FANS, works collaboratively with all levels of FANS leadership and management team disciplines at RHMs and within the region. Develops and implements plans and implementation processes that support Trinity Health and RHM FANS goals, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures. Ensures cost reduction targets and productivity improvement objectives are met, while cultivating service/product quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures the General Manager is kept abreast of issues or problems impacting program efficiencies and effectiveness. Attracts, develops and trains talent to ensure program quality, sustainability, long-term growth, and development. The Executive Chef leads by exemplifying the mission, vision and values of Trinity Health and the Regional Health Ministry.
1. Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, supports and endorses senior leadership decisions, goals, objectives, and strategies.
2. Oversees the day-to-day management of the culinary and sanitation activities for the FANS department and ensures program service support objectives are met. Provides a work environment that fosters positive energy, creativity, and teamwork among associates across all functional areas. Provides operational and technical support to RHM FANS management stakeholders in support of the overall management of FANS programs. Develops, implements and coordinates within the RHM:
Implementation of core program systems (Menus, Food Formularies, Cleaning Practices, auditing tools, competencies, etc.)
3. Participates in monthly budget reviews with the Regional Manager and RHM stakeholders to identify budget variances; and prepares related reports for senior management review.
4. Keeps the General Manager informed of issues affecting program costs, service capabilities, effectiveness and efficiencies, as well as issues noted during Performance Improvement audits in areas of responsibility. Presents findings and recommendations for improvement to the General Manager.
5. Meets with direct reports and support staff, as required, to review overall culinary operations goals/objectives, to address shortfalls and open issues and to encourage open dialogue for suggested process improvements. Outlines expectations, accountabilities, and measurables used in determining success.
6. Develops and administers Program Quality Evaluations and reviews Patient and Customer Satisfaction Survey scores for discrepancies and overall customer satisfaction for FANS. Prepares Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) where necessary to resolve customer satisfaction issues and address program quality deficiencies in the culinary area(s).
7. Interviews, hires, trains, appraises, counsels, and supervises staff; handles disciplinary actions. Reviews and approves expense reports and holds direct reports accountable to Trinity Health and THS policies and procedures. Reviews hiring justifications to ensure financial cost saving merit.
8. Ensures timely completion of annual performance appraisals; addresses associate problems and issues related to their work or environment. Fosters the development of diverse teams at all levels as appropriate and outlines annual skills development, career growth opportunities and improvement objectives with direct reports. Establishes and monitors progress on objectives and takes the necessary actions to resolve and prevent recurring issues. Provides the necessary leadership and oversight in cases where disciplinary action or termination is warranted.
9. Manages multiple projects and tasks in a fast paced environment and possesses the ability to adapt to change. Demonstrates the ability to develop a project plan for major projects with milestones to determine schedule of deliverables to advance project outcomes.
10. Participates in Trinity Health FANS regional Advisory councils to develop best in class programs and identifying best practices; driving change to positively affect operational, financial, and service performance at the RHM.
11. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws/regulations; the Trinity Health Integrity and Compliance Program and Code of Conduct; as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
12. Ensures all aspects of departmental operations including but not limited to all culinary functions and standards, Patient/Retail Production and Catering and Retail operations as assigned. Leads and ensures that all areas function in a compliant, optimal and efficient manner that ensures patient and customer satisfaction
13. Ensures the existence of effective quality improvement programs within the department, as assigned, inclusive of the food borne illness, safety and infection control aspects in the appropriately assigned areas of the department.
14. Ensures all cash handling policies are followed appropriately as assigned and that all cash is accounted for.
15. Ensures that all menus are reviewed annually (Patient, Retail, etc.) and adjusted according to patient/customer preference. Works with assigned clinical nutrition staff to ensure that Nutrient Analysis for all menus are accurate and updated as needed.
16. Ensures that all catered functions are approved, planned and executed per policy in a timely fashion with a customer centered focus.
17. Ensures safe conditions and procedures are followed at all times to minimize/eliminate workmans compensation claims and create a safe working environment for all Food & Nutrition colleagues.
18. Displays the ability to plan and direct food production personnel regarding type and quantity of food to be prepared and any special techniques to be employed for modified diets. Ensures that all menu items follow a THS approved recipe and that all recipes are accessible to culinary staff.
19. Maintains accurate and appropriate records as required.
20. Demonstrates a cost-conscious attitude to time usage and consistently makes the best use of time.
21. May handle additional duties and responsibilities as needed or assigned.
Completion of an accredited culinary institution program or equivalent degree and a minimum of three to five years progressive experience in the general culinary or healthcare foodservice management field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Ability to work effectively in a diverse, collaborative, and team oriented culture.
Ability to develop methodologies for collecting and analyzing relevant data; to audit program processes; monitor quality; identify, problems and their root causes, and make recommendations for improvement.
Excellent leadership, analytical, organizational, planning, delegation, coaching, communication (verbal, written and interpersonal), and computer (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills; with a continuous improvement mindset and ability to challenge conventional thinking at all levels of the organization.
A personal presence characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Trinity Health.
Ability to be a self-starter and independent worker able to manage multiple conflicting priorities and demands.
Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively and provide regular follow up to ensure objectives is met.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Works in a well-lighted, well-ventilated area.
Occasionally exposed to normal food service conditions such as noise, heat and humidity.
Executive Chef Food & Nutrition Services, Saint Alphonsus Health Syster - Nampa Medical Center
4300 E. Flamingo Ave
Regional Executive Chef, Saint Alphonsus Health System - Boise
1050 N Curtis Rd
Operation Manager Food & Nutrition Behaviorial Health Clinic Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center
1050 N Curtis Rd